Thursday, December 2, 2010

Henna Time! (MC Hammer Style)



I finally did a henna treatment last weekend (yay me right?). I used green tea, coconut milk, and conditioner to mix my henna, let it sit over night for dye release. Then the next day I put it on my hair and let it sit for a little over 4 hours. It was weird, my hair was still dripping orange water after several co-washes and a shampoo. I would rinse my hair out until the water ran clear, but then I would add conditioner and try to rinse again and the water would be orange again, so I assume that the dye was still releasing (Idk, maybe I should research that more, too late now lol). 

Anyway, my hair is a really dark brown, but most people might think it's black from a far. For visual reference, 1B hair (weave) tends to be a bit too dark for me. Anyway, I thought the henna would replace my brown with a deep and dark red, but it didn't. My hair just looks almost black now, and the ends (the lightest part) look like they just barely got a red tint and still have some of its original brown. I did take pics but you can't see the difference (good luck guessing which is before and which is after). 
I did not experience easier detangling nor a feeling of increased strength. Not cool. But there is hope yet, many have said that the more you use henna the better it works on your hair, so I will definitely use it again, probably early January before I decide that it simply doesn't work for me. ALSO, I used the Jamila Henna 2010 crop (http://www.butters-n-bars.com/index.html), and I read that different crops will give you a slightly different effect, so I may consider trying a different crop next time, perhaps the 2009 or something other than the Jamila. AND I can always try not adding conditioner, which is said to dilute the effects (less dye uptake, less positive effects). Eh, we'll see. 





Oh, and by the way, I am also considering altering my weekly regimen. I know I just posted it, but I'm learning that as my hair gets longer I have to switch things up to keep me from hacking away at the stuff, and I really am leaning towards holding on to some length for a while.

Anyway, I'm outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment