Friday, November 26, 2010

Homemade Recipes



In the beginning of my hair journey, I had aspirations of becoming a mixtress but they were soon dispelled.  I was too lazy to bother with the research and work it would take to find the right recipes. However, I do have a shea butter whip recipe and I add extra ingredients to my deep conditioner. There are a few recipes that I have tried and others that I still intend to try though.


Shea Butter Whip:
8 oz shea butter (softened but not melted)
2 TBSP aloe vera gel
1/2 cup coconut oil (use 1 cup to stretch the batch)
20 drops of favorite EO (I use tangerine oil for the scent)
Put all ingredients in a bowl and use hand mixer to blend, the more you mix the fluffier it will get, and the less lumps you'll have. My mixture comes out like really fluffy frosting.

Deep Conditioner:
I don't measure the amount of each ingredient I put in this mixture, I eyeball it. First, I put the amount  of conditioner I think I will need into a small bowl, I add about a tablespoon of honey and then add about an ounce or so of olive and coconut oil, mix everything up and apply. First I detangle with a watered down sprayable version of my DC, and then I apply the undiluted remnants to my hair, focusing on the line of demarcation as well as my ends. Finally, I apply a handful of honey to all of my hair and sit under  a hooded dryer for 15-30 minutes (depending on my mood). The honey makes my hair super soft, but I find that if I put too much in my DC mix, my hair is difficult to detangle. So I decided to add the honey as a last step and I get great results.

I've made my own DC from scratch as well, I blended an avocado, 1/2 can of coconut milk, 1Tbsp honey, and a few ounces of olive/coconut oil. This was just as good as any other store bought conditioner but not better, so I don't use it anymore. Honestly, I thought it would make my hair easier to detangle, but it did no such thing, so I decided it wasn't worth the process of blending, etc. But if one has the patience/time then its a good DC.


Overall mixing is ok, but I don't like it enough to look for the proper emollients, preservatives, etc to make my own products. I'll leave it mainly to the professionals and only mix things that I can't find in a store for a reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment