Saturday, December 11, 2010

Transitioning Troubles- The Two Texture Battle


So, I think I figured out why detangling transitioning hair is so difficult. For the last few months, detangling has been a huge obstacle during my transition. I've tried several conditioners and detanglers, with slippery ingredients like silicones and/or behentrimonium methosulfate (trying saying that five times fast) with little improvement. I can hear my hair snapping every time I detangle, and I see little pieces on my clothes. Don't get me wrong when I was frying my hair with heat styling tools there was at least about 10x more (at least being the key term), so I'm not terrified but it's still cause for concern.

Anyway, today as I was detangling I noticed that the more detangling product I put on my new growth, the easier it was to comb through, but the more product I put on my relaxed hair the more difficult it was to comb through. WTH, how is that possible? Well my theory is that relaxed hair really shouldn't be combed wet because the straight strands are more likely to tangle and stick together and because they're a bit weaker than my natural hair, they are easier to break. So while the comb is almost gliding through my saturated coils, it gets caught on my saturated relaxed hair (@ the LOD). And then on the other hand, when I don't saturate my hair with product, my new growth becomes the issue and the tangles from there travel down with the comb into my relaxed hair, slowing down the detangling process and resulting in some snappage also.

Normally, this small amount of breakage wouldn't bother me. But, I know that there are women who are transitioning who experience no breakage at all, and I want to continue my transition as long as possible so I would rather stop the breakage altogether. Now that I've figured out the issue maybe I can take steps to make the process easier. I used to think that when it came to detangling the more product I put all over the better, but I guess that's just not the case. Just like with moisturizing, more product is not required for my relaxed hair. Go figure.

Until next time, Deuces

No comments:

Post a Comment