Sunday, February 20, 2011

Detangling Tools and Saving my Transition



Over the past year of my hair journey, I've searched high and low, far and wide for the best tool to detangle my hair with.

Initially my hair journey started as a relaxed healthy hair journey and I already had a wide tooth comb, so I used that only and stayed away from my tail comb except for parting. Anyway, after my decision to stop relaxing my hair, my old wide tooth comb didn't seem to quite cut it anymore. At this point I purchased the Jilbere shower comb and then another Sally's brand wide tooth comb. I then tried out the famous Denman brand and finally a Tangle Teezer brush.

The Wide Tooth Comb:

This comb did an okay job of detangling my hair when I barely had any new growth. But as my hair grew out more, it became more difficult to comb through my hair with it. I then decided to get a comb with even wider set teeth. It seemed to do the trick initially, I would start with my ends and work my way up the root combing out tangles (after some finger detangling). However, after my hair was combed out I was unable to comb from root to tip, and then trying to braid was a nightmare. It was like I detangled, but my hair was still tangled. Bottom line, it felt kind of pointless at times. 

Denman D31:

So I continued to use my comb and I just assumed it was detangling my hair the best way possible. However, as the little relaxer free sections got longer, I began to see that those ends were not fully combed out*. I would twist those sections separately and the ends felt horrible and did not curl up or smooth down at all. So after much deliberation and flip flopping, I finally decided to purchase the D31. There was NO WAY I was gonna get the D3, I mean come on those bristles are sooo close together so that's why I decided on the D31. I wanted something with even wider set bristles, but the paddle brushes had balls at the ends and for some reason I think my hair would get caught on them. Anyway, the Denman D31 was not good for detangling my hair overall. Don't get me wrong, it detangles quite well, but I could hear my hair breaking and see it coming out. I would have to detangle with a comb first and then go through in TINY sections to keep my hair from breaking off. So in the end it doesn't seem worth it as a detangling tool for me. However, I used it to blow out my hair and it was absolutely perfect, my old round brush couldn't hold a candle to it. And I also used it to get every tangle out of my hair when I did my box braids, and I think it helped to keep my hair tangle free for the take down almost two weeks later. So the Denman D31 is a good styler for me. 

Tangle Teezer:

I saw the Tangle Teezer get reviewed by someone whose hair was nothing like mine and it seemed to work for her, but I didn't pay it much attention. I went to Sally's one day for something else and I happened to see it there, so I did a little inspection. I was not impressed. I thought, "those tiny little bristles are supposed to detangle my hair without yanking it out of my scalp, that's a joke." So I left it. The following day (literally) I saw a review on CurlyNikki with a girl who had hair similar to mine. My wheels began to turn because it did amazing things for her, so I looked up a few more reviews and I was sold. By the end of the week I had my very own Tangle Teezer. I must say it's the best detangling tool I've used so far. I decided that I needed to use smaller sections in general to detangle with because it was obvious that my head of hair could not be detangled in six sections. So I'm up to about 12-14 sections and detangling actually goes faster now. The Tangle Teezer detangles my hair and keeps it detangled, and I don't hear as much snapping or feel any pulling like I did with the Denman D31. However, I'm used to losing only a little hair, like I did with the comb, so seeing the amount of hair that comes out with the Tangle Teezer is a bit unnerving. However, for me the pros outweigh the cons, and I actually like wash day now. I used to despise detangling, but it's almost an enjoyable experience now. Yes I said enjoyable (almost anyway) so I'll stick with it right now unless something better comes along. 

Overall, I feel that what makes the Tangle Teezer different is the fact that the bristles are soooo pliable, and yet they are well cemented into the base which is not pliable at all. The Denman D31 has a pliable base, but the bristles are pretty hard and have a very small amount of flexibility. So when the Tangle Teezer bristles will graze the tangles in my hair, the Denman D31 bristles will end up pulling through them, leading to more breakage. 

However, the bristles in my Tangle Teezer are so pliable that they look like they won't last very long, so I'm actually already on the hunt to find a back up, Sally's is already sold out and I'm not a fan of paying for shipping so I'll just have to wait and see if they ever come back in stock. To sum up, the Tangle Teezer pretty much saved my transition : )

*Sidenote: I cut the relaxed ends off of two very small sections a while back to see what my shrinkage and texture would be like once I BC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment